Hope on. Journey on. Fan the flame of your faith.

Hope on. Journey on. Fan the flame of your faith.
quote by: Elder Jeffrey Holland

Maren June Palmer

2-25-2015                   
Dear Maren,
You are one week old today, which also happens to be your big sister Kanyin’s birthday as well.  I am sure you two will grow up to be great friends.
One week ago, your Dad and I got up early to head to the hospital to be induced to have you. I did not really sleep the night before anticipating what the next day would be like. Kanyin was such a big baby, that we were worried that you would be really big as well so decided to get induced. We were the only ones at the hospital having a baby the whole time we were there. It was kind of nice having all the attention. We had a great nurse named Gail, who was so funny and outgoing and made me feel like it was no big deal having a baby. After a few hours, they started Pitocin and I got my epidural as well. Things were progressing slowly at first and then around noon or so I started feeling quite a bit of pain. My epidural wasn’t working very well on my right side and you also turned and were now sunny side up, which was pretty painful!  Eventually you turned back and at around 3pm you were born! Doctor Pevoto let your Dad deliver you, which was exciting. You came out a very dark purple and when they layed you on me, instead of feeling excited for what just happened, I was very nervous if my new baby was okay. I had you for just a minute before they took you away and started you on oxygen. After about thirty minutes on the oxygen, you were still pretty purple and your numbers weren’t rising very well. They then pumped fluids out of your stomach and did a chest x-ray to make sure your lungs were developed. Another 15 minutes passed and you were now pink and breathing well.  It was an emotional time for me when your dad walked back in the room with you and you looked good and pink, and were ready to cuddle. I was overcome with love for you and we had an instant bond. You weighed 7lbs 7oz and 21inches long! Long and skinny. 
It is so hard to describe the instant love we felt for you. What a precious soul you are and we are so blessed to have you. For the next few hours we just stared at you and talked about what we should name you. We eventually decided on Maren June, which is a family name and a character from one of your Dad’s favorite movies Braveheart(:
That night, Jaca, Meysa and Kanyin came to the hospital to meet you. Kanyin has been talking for weeks now about coming to the hospital when baby sister is born. She was so so excited to see you! She kept saying “oohhh look her cute toes etc.” I hope you two will grow up to be good friends that love each other.
Of course in the hospital you don’t really sleep much, so we were excited to go home the next afternoon. You are a very sleepy baby. It takes a lot to wake you up and keep you awake while you nurse. When you are awake, you are calm and content, looking around at your surroundings. You are sleeping pretty well at night. You wake up about every three hours to eat. Once again, it is very hard to keep you awake for those feedings, so it takes a long time, which means not much sleep for me. That is how it goes, and I know this time will pass by so fast, so I am enjoying every minute I have with you whether it’s in the middle of the day or 3am.
I thank Heavenly Father every day for you and that you are here and healthy and that he trusts me to be your mom.
I love you!

Mom 

p.s. Well mom already told you most of the story of your birth, but she left out a few details that I will try to include.   Besides being dark purple when you came out, you also had a head full of dark hair!  Kanyin had quite a bit too, but you definitely beat her on that.  When your hair dried it stuck straight up almost into a perfect mohawk and hasn't come down since! We listened to the Braveheart soundtrack in the hospital in honor of your namesake (that is where I got the idea for Maren, it was just confirmed when we saw it was a family name).  
Your cousin Tanner returned home from his mission to South Africa that day, and his flight was delayed so he actually landed in Salt Lake about the same time that you were born!  You'll like Tanner, he's a good egg.  You are grandbaby #50 for your Grandma Davis and for Grandpa Palmer, how cool is that!  You must be pretty special.  We love you to pieces.  You have the most peaceful face when your asleep and you're always hungry, and I can't wait for all the fun ahead.  We like to party so you better be ready!
Love Dad

Headed to the hospital!





Shawn got to deliver baby Maren. What a cool experience!
I don't think she is to excited to be in this world :)







I love Kanyin's hands in this picture. She is ready to hold that baby!




Grandma "Jaca" and Meysa spoiled Kanyin while we were away. Including her first cross country skiing trip!

Grandpa "Bepa" came the next morning to meet Maren

Time to go home!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Torrey and Shawn and Kanyin
    You guys are the cutest family and judging from those pictures, I think Big Sister Kanyin is going to be great at helping little Maren June navigate life. We love you guys, if we can do anything to bless you we will.
    Pat and Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet to be able to read about the experience. Thank you for sharing. I do love her hair!

    ReplyDelete