Hope on. Journey on. Fan the flame of your faith.

Hope on. Journey on. Fan the flame of your faith.
quote by: Elder Jeffrey Holland

New Job

I just finished my student teaching in April. I taught first grade at Falls Valley Elementary in Idaho Falls.  I had an awesome cooperating teacher who let me take over the class for the three months I was there. Those six and seven year olds would keep me laughing all day. At that age, it was difficult to keep 21 first graders attention. Especially when they all have loose teeth. When one person looses a tooth, they all start getting tissues and wiggling their teeth. I got better and learned new tricks as days went on.  One day I was having students read to me at my desk while the rest of the class was working on a math paper. Most of them were finishing up their math papers when I noticed one of my trouble maker boys who was coloring and didn't have any of his math sheet done. I excused those reading back to their desks, and asked this little boy to come see me and bring his paper. I asked him if he had finished his math sheet yet, and he told me he did! I told him that I needed to see it and put out my hand. He started freaking out a little and told me I couldn't touch it. I told him that I needed to see it. He replied in a nervous voice, "I don't want your germs on it!!"I tried not laughing as best I could. We had a talk about lying and the dangers of it. It is scary how first graders are already learning to lie and come up with the excuses they do. Overall, I loved my experience. I just have one more class to take, and then I will graduate in July!! 

NEW JOB as a Head Resident
Since we will not be in Rexburg for a very long time, I decided not to teach while I wait for Shawn to finish school. I got an awesome job as a head resident of one of the girls dorms on campus. Shawn and I now live in the dorms. I have daily office hours, plan activities, do clean checks etc. I am loving it so far. Our first activity was an easter egg hunt, which is the picture above. I am getting to know all the girls, and still have many names to memorize.

No comments:

Post a Comment